What are the red flag warning signs that someone may have tampered with medical records? This is Pat Iyer with Iyer’s Insights, one of the twice weekly shows of Legal Nurse Podcast. I’ve spotted altered medical records and want to share some of the clues with you.
What are the responsibilities of facilities for maintaining records?
Listen in as Pat Iyer chats about these points
- Reason you may be suspicious
- What are the responsibilities of facilities for maintaining records?
- Just why do healthcare professionals tamper with medical records
- What happens to healthcare providers who get caught?
- Exploring the consequences
- And more…..
Related Product: Fraudulent Medical Records
Just imagine you are analyzing a medical record. Suddenly,you see a chart entry that does not make sense – or can’t find an entry that should have been there. You look away, bewildered. You begin to form a thought – “Someone tampered with these records.” Your medical knowledge may make you the only person on the legal team to recognize the tampering.
Today’s highly charged atmosphere with its focus on financial survival of healthcare organizations and medical malpractice increases the temptation to alter records when something goes wrong.
There are many reasons why a person would tamper with records, including an intention to commit fraud, such as billing for services not performed, or fear or guilt when an untoward outcome occurs. How often do you find yourself saying, “I wish I knew how to identify fraudulent records?”
Tampering with medical records skyrockets the implications of a case. You’ll learn why this act so profoundly affects a medical malpractice case. This program contains what every legal nurse consultant should know about altered medical records. You will get the truth about how you can help an attorney with suspicions of altered medical records.
In this 60-minute online training called Fraudulent Medical Records, you will learn how to:
- Differentiate between substandard documentation and altered medical records
- Recognize the factors that lead to altered medical records
- Identify the implications of tampering with medical records
- Detect altered medical records
Pat Iyer has been a legal nurse consultant since 1987. She also built a successful LNC business that included testifying as an expert witness for 20 years.