Melissa Choma is a law firm legal nurse consultant with the title of Legal Nurse Analyst for the defense law firm Marshall, Dennehey, Warner, Coleman & Goggin. She works in the medical malpractice department. Throughout Melissa’s career she has worked in community hospitals as well as university hospitals, critical care units and telemetry units and on the abdominal transplant floor at the University of Maryland in Baltimore, MD.
Melissa also has experience as a post-op kidney transplant coordinator for several years. She became a transplant case manager for a large insurance company before transitioning to her current position. She absolutely loves being a legal nurse consultant where she gets to use her experience as a nurse and yet still learn something new every day.
Listen in as Pat Iyer and Melissa Choma chat about these points:
- What was the bridge that took Melissa into this new world as a law firm legal nurse consultant from the insurance business?
- What aspects of working for the insurance company carried over into Melissa’s defense position?
- How Melissa got the position even when she did not exactly meet the criteria as a law firm legal nurse consultant
- How Melissa learned her job
- How she juggles the case load when she has more than one attorney asking her to work on a case
- The most interesting case that Melissa ever worked on
- What are the factors that make a case defensible
- How electronic medical records affect your ability to do your job
Secrets of Success for Working as an Inhouse LNC
Is working as a law firm legal nurse consultant right for you? How can you create the most value for your skills? What are the pros and cons of this fast-paced role? An experienced LNC employed by a prestigious plaintiff law firm shares her knowledge on how to maximize the role of the inhouse LNC. You will discover how to:
- Most effectively look for and secure a job working in a law firm.
- Differentiate your role from that of a paralegal.
- Make yourself invaluable to the attorneys.
- Expand upon the rewards and challenges of this role.
Beth Zorn works as law firm legal nurse consultant and is a past president of AALNC.
Order this audio training at this link: http://lnc.tips/Inhouse
Get a 25% discount on this training by using the word Listened in the coupon box during checkout
Melissa Choma is an in-house Legal Nurse Analyst for the law firm Marshall, Dennehey, Warner, Coleman & Goggin. This is a defense firm, and she is in the medical malpractice department. Melissa has worked in the position for almost 3 years. She has been a Registered Nurse for 27 years.
Check out the webinars, teleseminars, courses and books at legalnursebusiness.com. Expand your LNC skills with our resources.
Explore mentorship with Pat Iyer at LNCAcademy.com to get more clients, make more money and avoid expensive mistakes. Pat is a trusted advisor to LNCs.
Join us for monthly online trainings at LNCCEU.com for 2 trainings each month designed to deepen your knowledge and skills.